Friday, May 25, 2012

Sticky toffee date cake

Best cake ever ! Ina Garten is the way to go when it comes to baking. This is my most favorite cake that I ever made with her recipes. I had made this for a friend's birthday and it was a big hit. I have been baking this cake ever since. My baking is egg-less and use of flax seeds goes well with the taste of dates.
       The original recipe can be found here.I quartered the recipe and made one 6 inch round cake. I have baked the original recipe as it is . It is too sweet for me. So here is the updated version.



Ingredients:
For the cake :
1/4 pound dates, pitted and chopped
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4cup softened butter
1 tb spoon granulated sugar
1 tb spoon ground flax seeds + 3 tb spoon water (1 egg)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tb spoon baking powder

For the sauce:
1/8 pound butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Method:
Mix together flour and salt and set aside. In a sauce pan add together water and dates and let the mixture come to boil. Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg re-placer(flax seed and water mixture) and vanilla extract and beat again.Add the dry ingredients and mix to make a lumpy dough. Once the date mixture come to boil, remove from the heat and add baking soda to the date mixture. This will cause mixture to bubble.Pour the hot date mixture carefully to the dry mixture slowly and mix well.Add baking powder in the end. This will also cause mixture to bubble. Pour into a greased round cake pan and bake on 350 F for about 30-35 minutes.
     To make the sauce, mix the butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the sugar melts, add heavy cream and vanilla extract and salt and stir everything together . Sauce is ready.
     Once the cake is baked , let it cool for a while. Remove the cake from the cake pan and poke a few holes throughout the cake. Pour warm sauce on the cake. Cut and EAT.

Notes:
1)Ina's original recipe does not call for salt in the toffee sauce. I like the combination of sweet and salty, so I added it.
2)I don't like desserts that are over the top sweet. So I did adjust the sugar. I have made this without adding any sugar and it works perfect. Toffee sauce is sweet so the cake can be little less sweet. And the dates are sweet enough for the cake.





No comments:

Post a Comment