Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Green Tomato Chutney

As the summer is progressing, the tomato plants in my yard are getting bigger and fuller. I have so many tomatoes, I have to use them whichever way I can. This tomato chutney is at top of the list.
                Use the 'recipe' as merely a guideline. This is how my mom makes it and so do I. Adjust chilies and jaggery suitable to your taste.















Ingredients-

2-3 green tomatoes
2 green chilies,cut in pieces
1/8 cup sesame seeds
handful of cilantro
salt to taste
jaggery 1 tb spoon
1 tb spoon oil


Method-
Wash tomatoes and quarter them. In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add quartered tomatoes and chopped chilies. Fry until tomato skin is slightly blistered (just couple of minutes). Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
      To make chutney, mix cooled tomato and chilies, cilantro,sesame seeds,salt and jaggery in blender. Pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve with parathas/ rotis/ even a slice of bread.
        You can use cilantro stems for this chutney as well.  The stems have stronger flavor and goes very well with the green tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment